History - Hadlow Manor Skip to content

HADLOW MANOR

HISTORY

Known historically as Leavers Manor, the hotel is geographically located within the parish of East Peckham. The name Leavers is thought to derive from Mr Stephen Leaveres, the owner of the property back in medieval times (before 1550), which of course would have looked very different.

The Georgian Manor that you see today can be dated back to as early as 1812 when a previous tenant, William Golding, took over sole ownership of the building and its extensive list of essential repairs. The Golding name has been associated with the property for many years before the more modern Georgian building was completed. The first mention is found on a mortgage deed from 1771 where William Golding’s father, also named William, was named as the property’s tenant. At 66 years of age it’s possible he had been living there with his family for many years prior to this.

A member of the Golding family continued to be associated with the property as recently as 1928 when Edward Cecil Golding died. He had long sold the property but continued to farm the land right up until his death. Today we continue to remember the Golding family through naming one of our function rooms after them.

Join our mailing list to receive exclusive offers on everything from overnight stays to afternoon teas